Our History

The Baltalimanı Palace was built in the half of the 19th century bt Vizier Mustafa Resit Pasa in an area of 1600m2 and it was built of two floors and a masonry. The building was allocated to the residence of Mustafa Resit Pasa’son Galip Pasa, who was married to Fatma Sultan, the daughter of Sultan Abdulmecit, and was purchased by the Treasury after the death of Galip pasa.

The palace witnessed some of international agreements such as Baltalimanı Agreement which was signed between some western countries such as Britain, Belgium France and Ottoman Empire. This agreement had an impressive impact on Ottoman Empire economy by causing a commercial collapse. In 1887, the palace was allocated to Abdulhamid’s younger daughter Mediha Sultan.

After the marriage of Mediha Sultan with the ambassador of London Ferit bey, the building was called as Damat Ferit Palace and it was used as a summer palace until 1992.

During the Republican period, the palace was once abandoned and closed, and  the ceiling texture, gildedand surfaces were softeden and some parts were destroyed, the plasters decayed, the shore and quay shelters were broken and the hall ornaments were broken. After being used as the Fishery Instıtute of the Ministry of Agriculture for a while, the building was transferred to the Ministry of Health in 1943.

The Ministry of Health planned to open a ‘’Bone Hospital’’  with 85 beds. After being repaired, the palace was opened as a hospital on 19 June 1944.

In 1955, the name of the hospital was Bone Diseases Hospital, Marine and Sun Ttreatment Institute and in 160, the name was changed to Baltalimanı Bone Diseases Hospital.

Our hospital was transferred to the status of private branch educationand reseaarch hospital by the Ministry of Health on 21 December 2001 and thus, it became the first and only special branch and education hospital in the field Orthopedics and Traumatology in our country. Since 2002, our hospital has undergone a radical renewal with the great investments of the Ministry of Health.

The Hand Surgery Clinic was established on 26 January 2012. The clinic first started its activities on 26 August 2011 in order to serve for Hand Surgery patients.

Our hospital became a university hospital and got status as the Research and Application Center by a protocol signed between the Ministry of Health and University of Health Sciences on June 24 2016.

In our hospital with 136 beds, there are 2 training clinics one of which is Orthopedics and Traumatology Clinic and the other one is Hand Surgery Clinic. Currently, 33 assistant doctors are trained in the Orthopedics and Traumatology Clinic.

In addition to the training clinics, polyclinic services are also provided in a number of different branches and 48 physicians work at these polyclinics and there are 15 doctors in Anesthesiology and Basic Sciences.

  • 1-Orthopedics and Traumatology Clinic

    There are three groups:

    Spine Surgery Group(1st group)

    Tumor Surgery Group(2nd group)

    Child Orthopedics and Deformity Group(3rd group)

  • 2-Hand Surgery Clinic

Our target as an institution is to provide health care services to our patients in the most efficient way and in accordance with international quality standards. We  are aware of being an educational institution, by following scientific and technological innovations, bringin them to our hospital, making scientific studies in international standards and educating academicians. Our aim is to contribute to the health services of our country by educating qualified physicians and healt personel who are equipped with contemporary knowledge in their own branches.